Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Blog Post #2 - Final Shoe Drawing

     For this drawing I had many different steps and I used many different techniques.  For the steps I drew a rough draft of the shoe; (the one in the other blog post) and, then I started to draw the basic shape of my shoe which ended up looking like an upside down ice cream cone with both edges being rounded.  After I drew my weird ice cream cone shape I sighted my shoe to look at the proportions.  At first I drew the front of the side of the shoe out of proportion on purpose because I didn't like how it looked, but after a while I changed it so it looked correct and now I see that it looks a lot better.  After I finished drawing my shoe and when I knew where the light source was I decided to shade my shoe in pencil before I started drawing in pen that way I would know where to shade darker and where to shade lighter and that way it would be harder for me to mess up.  When I started to shade I shaded in the direction of the curve of the shoe and I started on the left side where it was the darkest;  I worked my way around the whole shoe and left the front toe of the shoe and the foot hole for last.  I worked on the foot hole shading first and then I moved on to the toe.  
     One of the biggest problems I had while drawing my shoe was proportion and very specific detail like the curve of the front of the shoe, the shoe laces, and the curves of the side of the shoe.  To overcome this problem I asked my friends what I should do, they gave me some options and I chose from there, they also helped me by showing me a better way to draw some elements like, the laces.  
     This project was challenging but only in some parts.  The shading was pretty simple for me, but drawing the laces was one of the harder parts for me.  For one, they changed shape every class so it was hard to keep the same reference.
     I'm really happy about how this project turned out!  I think that the shading turned out AMAZING and I'm really proud of that.  I also think that the shape of the shoe and the proportions turned out really well.   This is probably the best thing I've ever drawn to be completely honest, but saying that I realize that its also the longest I've ever spent on an art project.
     Something that I would change about this project is the part where we had to shade in pen.  Personally I've never shaded in pen and it wasn't my favorite,  it turned out well but I'd rather shade in pencil.  During this project I learned to always draw with the right proportions no matter what and to always try new things, like shading in pen!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing job. BRAVO! You tackled a difficult angle, saw great shadows in your laces, and really created volume with all your value.
    Include gesture and contour in the explanation of your steps so I know you understand the art vocab and what technique they describe.

    ReplyDelete